Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tottenham's Controversial Goal. The Football Flog's Opinion

The following email was received this morning:

Dear Mr. Flog,

Do you think that Tottenham's goal against Arsenal on the weekend was unfair? Should they have played the ball out when the two Arsenal players collided and stayed down injured?

Regards,
Jason Croal

The Football Flog responds:

Dear Jason,

Many times I have been on the wrong-end of controversial refereeing decisions and I'm glad you asked this question. Putting the ball out of play is a contentious issue in football these days particularly with players' desire to waste time or thwart the opposition's attack by feigning injury.

Recently I was involved in a very similar incident during an impromptu Father-Son football game at my (illegitimate) 5 year-old son's primary school picnic.

It all started when a 6 year-old boy refused to put the ball out when a particularly vicious tackle from an over-zealous 5 year-old forced me to hit the ground and wait for treatment. The young lad (who was clearly offside anyway) then fouled his way through our defence to score his side's first goal. It ruined our clean-sheet and though we were still seven goals ahead, our otherwise strong defence (consisting of my 24 year-old brother and his 3 friends) were heart-broken as this would be our first clean sheet since we removed the bell from the ball when we played the Blind Association Football Team.

An unhelpful toddler posing as a physio offered me some fairy-bread to aid my recovery but the anger raised inside of me by the cheating goal-scorer effectively numbed the excruciating pain inflicted by the little 5 year-old (now crying) assasin. I proceeded to do the only thing a responsible father-of-a-boy-in-the-same-class-as-the-cheating-swine could do. I sent both the reckless tackler and the offside goalscorer off the pitch and banned them (and indeed their fathers by association) from primary school picnics for the next 5 years. Lesson learnt.

In answer Jason, in my view the goal was unfair and ball should have been played out however Arsene Wenger should not have let emotion over-rule his common sense when he spoke to the press and branded Tottenham cheats and liars. Rather than getting angry he should have ignored the pain, accepted the injustice and then reacted with common sense and dignity, just as I had done.

Thanks for your question,

FF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home