Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tony Vidmar Out of the World Cup


Socceroo hero Tony 'Dry Your Eyes Mate' Vidmar has ruled himself out of contention for the World Cup due to an irregular heart beat.

Vidmar is going to return to Australia to have further tests and to determine if he can continue his playing career.

In 2001 Vidmar walked from the Centenario Stadium in Uruguay with tears streaming down his face after failing to qualify for the 2002 World Cup, thinking that was his last chance to participate in a World Cup. It wasn't to be. The no nonsense defender triumphantly played in both matches against Uruguay to help Australia qualify for the 2006 World Cup, even smashing in a goal in the penalty shootout. The injury is a knockout blow but Vidmar has put on a brave face masking the devastation that must be going on inside. In 2001 Australia shared Vidmar’s tears; in 2006 we share his pain.

"It's something that has come as a real shock but due to the seriousness of the situation I had no other choice in the interests of my own health and the team that I withdraw from being considered for the World Cup squad," said Vidmar.

"When I return to Australia I'll have some further examinations and once I have that information I'll decide if I will play on but in the short term it would be too much of a risk."

"Of course I would love to play in the World Cup, it's been a dream of mine and I have been in four campaigns but until I am fully aware of my health situation I can't risk playing."

"Though I won't be on the field with my team mates I'll be joining the rest of Australia in giving them my full support."

Tony from The Soccer Squirrel hear hear on your fantastic Socceroo career. The rest of Australia will never forget the contribution you made to get the Socceroos to Germany.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vidmar may have pulled out of the World Cup due to an irregular heartbeat but I think the England team should pull out of the World Cup due to a strained heart muscle. They are weak and they will crumble under the pressure.

2:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home