Thursday, May 11, 2006

Josh Kennedy: Player Profile


Don't expect the young man with the biblical appearance to work miracles in Germany but he will offer our attack a different option. The 23-year-old, is 6ft 4inches tall, plays for Bundesliga 2 (German 2nd division) club Dynamo Dresden but after the World Cup he will move to German top-flight club Nurnberg.

Kennedy represented Australia at under-17 and under-20 level before heading overseas to play professionally in Germany.

At the age of 18 he became the youngest Australian to play in Germany's top flight.
He spent a couple of years on loan in lower divisions, then returned to the top flight in 2003-04 where he wasn't given much of a chance. He was then signed by second division Dynamo Dresden where he has become a first team regular.

Kennedy has scored 7 goals in 25 games this season with 4 assists. Not overly impressive figures but he has been playing for a club that is struggling. Nurnberg have seen enough talent in the young striker to sign him.

"Josh adds something totally different to what we have got - if you look at the (Mark) Viduka's and (John) Aloisi's they are both very good with their back to goal," Arnold said.

"(But) Kennedy gives us a totally different option that if we want to change our style of play, we can...instead of having three or four of the same options."

Kennedy's manager, John Grimaud, also believes he offers the Socceroos something different in attack.

"He offers a point of difference for the Australian team," said Grimaud.

"People often say players like Mark Viduka are strong in the air, but I can tell you none of them are a patch on Josh. He's a great header of the ball. He brings something different."

"If the Socceroos are struggling, if they run out of ideas, they could do worse than just knock long balls up to Josh."

I guess what they are all trying to say is, Kennedy is Australia's answer to Peter Crouch.

Here is a song the Aussie fans could sing about Kennedy at the World Cup, to the tune of Kanye West "Jesus Walks".

(Joshua Walks)
Guus show me the way because the defense try to break me down
(Joshua Walks with me)
The only thing that I pray is that my feet don't fail me now
(Joshua Walks)
And I don't think there's nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
(Joshua Walks)
I wanna to talk to Guus but I'm afraid cause we ain't spoke in so long
(Joshua Walks with me with me with me)...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your moves, I like your style but most of all I love The Soccer Squirrel. Keep up the good work!

7:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home