Monday, May 15, 2006

Milicevic Hits Out at Squad Selection

Australian defender, Ljubo Milicevic has lashed out at Socceroo officials for leaving him out of the World Cup squad.

The central defender captained his Swiss club side FC Thun and played in the Champions League and UEFA Cup this season. He suggested, tongue-in-cheek, that he would have had a better chance of getting into the squad if he was playing in the A-League compared to competing against world class players in the Champions League.

"Being left out is pretty hard to swallow considering the season I've had. I had to have a laugh. I'm not that surprised, to be honest. I never had much contact from the national team and I was always pessimistic about the World Cup. My instincts were right," Milicevic said.

"I think people involved have very short memories," said the defender. "I was captain of the under-20s and captain of the Olympic team. I picked up two injuries playing for Australia. I had a horrific run of injuries playing for Australia and came back (to fitness) to captain my team in Europe but I'm obviously not good enough for Australia."

Hiddink named two defenders from the A-League, Michael Beauchamp and Mark Milligan, in his squad. Milicevic obviously feels he deserved a place in the squad over these players, taking aim at the standard of Australia's national league.

"Maybe I should move back to Australia. You seem to have a better chance of playing for Australia if you're playing in the A-League than in the Champions League against Thierry Henry. In Australia, the opponents are obviously better than Thierry Henry."

"I played Champions League, UEFA Cup and captained my team and that's not good enough? I'm sorry. People I don't know and people who I never expected to hear from say it's bullshit."

Hiddink is known to favour players that are mobile and adaptable to different positions. The physically imposing defender seems to have not ticked enough boxes however he has been placed on standby for the World Cup squad.

The World Cup was supposed to be a shopping window for potential suitors for Milicevic. His performances in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup have led to several big European clubs showing an interest in the defender. "Within a month I should know where I'm playing next season. I'm going to focus on myself and my own career."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here Ljubo. You should be in there ahead of the useless Popa

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Ljubo. I can't understand why you were not picked when two A-League defenders and an out of form veteran were picked. I'd be as dark as Kamal.

9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home