Friday, May 19, 2006

Thompson Rejoins Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory fans can breath a collective sigh of relief today after Archie Thompson revealed he would be returning to the club for next season.

Thompson has spent the last 6 months on loan to Dutch club, PSV Eindhoven, where he was given the opportunity to maintain his fitness levels for his participation in the World Cup. There was an option for PSV to buy the striker but they have decided not to take up this option.

Moving to Holland also gave Thompson the chance to work closely with PSV manager Guus Hiddink. The striker only made two appearances for PSV but the experience was invaluable.

“Getting the opportunity to play under the current national coach at PSV and prepare for the World Cup was an unbelievable opportunity, and I’d like to thank Melbourne Victory for allowing me to go there,” Thompson said.

“But I’ve played in Europe before and this is not the first time I’ve come back home. My family is settled here in Melbourne and the setup of the club and the support of the fans is brilliant.

“I really look forward to coming back because I know how fantastic the atmosphere is at Olympic Park. I even hear they are building a new stadium which will be amazing when it’s finished.

“I just can’t wait to go to Germany for the World Cup and give the Melbourne fans something extra to cheer about.

“I visited Victory training yesterday and all the boys are looking fit and raring to go. With the new signings coming on board I’m positive we can give the title a real shake next season.”

Thompson was a big hit in the A-League's inaugral season before leaving for Holland so he will inject some much needed attacking excitement into the Victory lineup.

Details of Melbourne Victory's two new Brazilian signings will be followed shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home