Saturday, May 20, 2006

Arsenal v Barcelona Champions League Final

Dear Football Flog,

I am an Arsenal fan and I was so shocked at the referee’s decisions against Barcelona on Wednesday night in the Champions League final. What did you think of the referee? Also Ronaldinho or Henry, who is better?

Andy from Parsons Green, London.

Dear Andy,

You claim to be an Arsenal supporter yet you live in the heart of Chelsea territory. I’ll answer your questions but I’m onto you Andy, you toff.

Well what a game it was last night. I too found myself seething at some of the referee’s decisions. I was calling the game for Serbian Radio Station B92 and Henry must have heard some of my analysis as he repeated my thoughts verbatim in his post match interview.

UEFA is run by Barcelona, there I’ve said it. How they appointed Hague as referee of the game is suspicious. He was the ref in the Barcelona-Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge and he did the exact same thing then. He sent off Del Horno early in the game when it should have been a yellow card. Before the game one of the linesmen was photographed wearing a Barcelona shirt. The linesman was swapped by UEFA because of the incident. However if you look closely at Hague in Wednesday night’s game there is definitely a Barcelona shirt underneath his black referee shirt.
It is amazing the similarities between Wednesday’s game and the Chelsea v Barcelona game at Stamford Bridge:
· Same referee
· Early controversial sending off
· Team with 10 men goes 1 goal up through a set piece
· Team with 10 men holds on and on
· Henrik Larsson comes on
· Finally Barcelona score two late goals to seal 2-1 victory

As for Ronaldinho and Henry I have to say Henry on the pitch and Ronaldinho off it. Ronaldinho had a very poor game on Wednesday night. This could have been down to the fact that I saw him out late the night before at a little Parisian hotspot called La Gare in Trocadero. He was certainly enjoying himself and had a delightful bevy of ladies surrounding him. He remembered me from when I was playing with lower league Parisian club Paris FC. I don’t want to go into the details of what happened next as it will be in my book but I’ll say this - Ronaldinho gave one assist in Paris and it wasn’t on the football pitch.

Until next time. All questions please mail to footballflog@yahoo.com

FF

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ff, you must be taking the piss.

to draw similarities between the Chelsea first leg and the final; based on there being an incorrect sending off and the goal being scored similarly by the "10 man side" is a joke.

Del horno deserved to get sent off, he lined up to kick Messi into Kings Road.

And the goal scored by Campbell was a text book header from a centre back going fwd.

Chelsea went ahead of Barcelona because of a Motta's own goal.

The only similarity was the score line and the defining examples of Barcelona's character to fight back from deficits, and win.

They are the best side and they won.
end of story.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Greg Horgan said...

I don't think we were given the chance to see who was the better team unfortunately. Arsenal started well and it was shaping up to be a cracker.

11:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home