Thursday, May 25, 2006

Australia vs. Greece Post Game Reaction

Australia 1 – Overseas Internet Coverage 0

As I am currently based in the UK, I was very interested to watch or listen to today’s game using the power of the internet. Having spent fruitless hours trying to configure a streaming feed from a Chinese internet television company (TVAnts), I decided that the best result would be a radio broadcast.

ABC Radio Sydney was rumoured to be broadcasting the game and an advertisement on their site confirmed it. I clicked the “Listen” tab but was directed to a programme that certainly wasn’t football. I didn’t listen long enough to work out what it was because Josip Skoko had just scored. While it may have simply been an unfortunately timed cross to the Bondi Surf Life Saving club, I figured something was amiss. I searched for the correct feed but to no avail.

But how did I know Skoko had scored? Fortunately the Age website had a scrolling text commentary (here) of the game, though “scrolling” is rather generous. In truth the coverage consisted of 3-10 minute updates with little information. Posts such as the following served to illustrate the quality of the coverage:

21' Bresciano gets a small run at the top of the box, unable to control it and it is cleared to the boundary

Boundary?! I am not blaming the writers who were updating the commentary but the Age for choosing writers with little knowledge of the game. Believe me there’s thousands of us.

There was no discussion of tactics or formations or anything slightly insightful. The chat screen that ran beside the commentary even had to prompt the writers by asking questions about the crowd, tactics, etc. I don’t even think it refreshed automatically.

However, the highlight was the moving graphic that accompanied the goal:





Yep, that’s right!

This rant might be seem petulant but most expats who are fans of soccer/football (who cares what we call it?!) would be bemused with the online coverage (or lack of) by both ABC Radio Sydney and The Age. Has the brain drain got this bad?

I sincerely hope that someone can point to a better online coverage than I found. Perhaps there was great coverage on another website and I’m a idiot for not searching harder for it. The thing is I was pressing “refresh” far too often in the vain hope that there might actually be an update.

So much for the information age, next time I’ll certainly be in a pub, even if it is a Walkabout.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thumbs up guys your doing a truly terrific job. Trusox

10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home